Is Christmas approaching? Are you finding thanksgiving food for meat lovers? Turkey rub is the best food but it can become more delicious if it is cooked in a smoker. Turkey rub with bread sauce is considered the best Christmas dinner among meat-eaters.
Turkey bird is similar to chicken in many cases but you must not confuse Turkey as a chicken. Turkey is comparatively larger in size and is kept in farms for cooking purposes. Chicken recipes have become common these days but on special days like Christmas, Turkeys are highly preferred.
Rubbing refers to the application of mixed spices on uncooked food by rubbing over it. In a Turkey rub recipe for smokers, you must mix spices well and then rub them over the skin of Turkey. This is the source of enhancement of the natural flavors of Turkey.
Turkey Rub Recipe for Smokers
Turkey rubs can be prepared in many ways. They can be deep-fried and even used in curries. To prepare tasty turkey rubs for smokers, you must keep some instructions in your mind.
- Proper cleaning of turkey is very necessary.
- Removal of neck and giblets from Turkey.
- Cleaning of smokers.
- Proper preheating of smokers.
- The temperature of the smoker must be 250 degrees Fahrenheit before smoking.
- Use of an internal thermometer to check meat temperature.
There are many types of smokers. You can use an electric smoker, charcoal smoker, or gas smoker as well. In order to preheat your smoker, you must check guide books.
There are many ways of preparing Turkey rub and you can use various ingredients in it. Some of the necessary ingredients are;
- Whole Turkey
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
There are some important steps you should follow.
- Cleaning of turkey is the first step. You must wash it properly and remove the giblets of it.
- Spice mixing should be done properly. Spices are the real asset of turkey rub. If any of the above-mentioned spices will be absent, you would be unable to get the real taste.
- Rubbing is the next step. You must rub all the spices over uncooked Turkey, over the skin, and under the skin of it.
- The heating of smokers should be done by opening its lid and setting it to “smoke”.
- The temperature should be 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Marination of spices should be done for 30 minutes. In this way, rubbed spices will get absorbed into Turkey’s flesh and will make it tastier from inside.
- Grilling should be done until the temperature of Turkey will rise to 165 degrees.
- Thermometer insertion would be done to check the internal temperature of the meat. You must insert this thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh of Turkey. Mostly the upper surface gets grilled quickly while the thickest parts remain uncooked.
- Oiling should be done after your Turkey will get cooked. You can put butter on it as well as the gravy of Turkey, while grilling, can also be applied on it.
- Cutting of grilled Turkey should be done after 15 minutes. This will help the spices and oil get set on Turkey.
Crispy skin Turkey
You can cover the marinated Turkey with foil and then grill it. This is a way by which the turkey will be made soft and juicy but if you want to make crispy skin Turkey then you must not cover it with foil. The smoke of smokers will allow the skin of Turkey to get harder and crispier. You can also check out masterbuilt propane smoker recipes if you have that.
Servings with Turkey
- Rub Turkey made by smokers can be served with different servings.
- Green Bean Casserole
- Best Mashed Potatoes
- Turkey stuffings
- Butter soft roles
- Sweet potatoes Casserole
These servings are a bonus pack with rub Turkey and are a source of enhancement of Turkey’s taste.
Advantages of Turkey
- Turkeys are rich sources of protein, which helps in strengthening muscles and bones.
- It contains Vitamin B6, which promotes brain health and reduces Alzheimer’s disease.
- It is rich in amino acid tryptophan. They help the body to make certain proteins and brain-signaling chemicals.
- Turkeys contain anti-cancer properties.
- It is light and if roasted without skin, they are a source of low saturated fats.
- It acts as a mood enhancer and will help you in the betterment of your depressed mood.
Disadvantages of Turkey
- Turkey contains a high amount of sodium. Excessive amounts of sodium increase blood pressure and increase the burden on the heart.
- The skin of Turkey contains a high level of fats which is the cause of inflammation in the brain and leads to sepsis.
- A large amount of Tryptophan, if present in Turkeys, is the cause of sleepiness and blurred vision.
Nutrition of Turkeys
Turkey’s breast contains 8 grams of proteins, 466 kilocalories, 3 grams of carbohydrates, 18 grams of fats, 4 grams of saturated fats, 231 mg of cholesterol, and 2 grams of sugar.
Rub turkeys can become a high source of calories with a mixture of oil and other fats. Hence, grilled turkey made in smokers can reduce the rate of fats by not using excessive oils. Instead, you can lubricate it with its own gravy.
Diet-conscious people can also avoid the use of turkey skin turkey while grilling. In this way, you can control high-calorie levels.
How do you get smoked turkey skin crispy?
For a crispy skin of the turkey, you must smoke it until its temperature rises to 145 degrees Fahrenheit and then transfer it to the hot grills, which must be preheated from 350 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Take your Turkey out of smokers when its temperature would rise to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do you wrap a turkey while smoking?
It is your choice if you want to wrap a turkey with Aluminum foil while smoking. If you want crispy skin, then try to avoid wrapping during smoking but at the time of marination or rubbing of mixed ground spices, you must wrap it with plastic foil, to get a good taste deep within the flesh of the bird.
How long do you smoke a turkey at 225?
At the temperature of 225 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, it takes approximately 10 hours for the turkey to reach the temperature of 165 degrees. While smoking it, you must lubricate it with the juices in the bottom after every two hours.
What is the best temperature to smoke a turkey?
Turkeys can be smoked at the least temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit as well but it would be much better if you will smoke it from 275 to 300 degrees or even more, temperature can also be good for quick making of it. As less temperature will take more time while more temperature will take less time.
Best Turkey rub can be made deliciously in smokers if you will put your effort into it and try to follow each and every step carefully. Before rubbing spices over it you must wash and then dry your Turkey completely.